Today Ryan & I discuss the concept of goals, how to set goals and how to make it easier to achieve goals using a template and some of our own personal goals for 2013.
OK so if I’m honest, I haven’t been good in the past with formally setting goals. However, I started to get serious with this in recent years and found Zig Ziglars videos inspiring to help me really get motivated and get moving with my goals.
I also found some workbooks that have helped me write my goals down and evaluate them better. This has helped me build 2 small profitable businesses PLUS start Typical Business and the podcast which launched late in 2012. The books were curated by Seth Godin and Zig Ziglar and I share a link to those at the bottom of this post.
But first, if you’ve listened to this podcast episode, you’ll have a better understanding of each of these points that Zig raises in his 3 part video below.
Zig Ziglar shares a great methodology that works when creating goals. Watch these 3 short videos for his own insight into setting goals.
Here are his 7 steps which will help you get serious and give you a greater chance for success.
- Write it down.
- Set a start date.
- Listed the obstacles you have to overcome.
- Listed the groups and organisations you have to work with.
- Spell out a plan of action.
- Set the time aside to complete those actions.
- Identified the benefits.
This methodology is what I use with the Pick Four workbooks which are available on Amazon;
Here’s some tips to help you get started:
- Small steps work – Don’t give yourself long or large tasks. Instead, break them down into smaller, bite sized chunks that are easier to achieve. Momentum will really help you stay motivated and feel a sense of accomplishment.
- Consistent effort works – chip away at your goal regularly. That consistent effort all adds up and before you know it, you’ll achieve your goal.
- Group support works – if you can rally some additional support around you, do it! This helps hold you accountable, but your support group can also keep you encouraged.
The one consistent rule that is followed by all successful people – Do it now. Don’t put it off. Start NOW.